It can be difficult to make friends in the LGBTQ community without resorting to sketchy hookup apps like Grindr, but if you live in a big city there are always plenty of activities to keep you busy — so long as you know where to look. Here are a few of the biggest LGBTQ events hosted by Miami organizations over the summer and beyond.
- Brothers at Sea LGBT Cruise. This one is tailored to “brothers” i.e. African American members of our community. The cruise will last for seven days and have everything you’d expect, stopping in Cozumel, New Orleans, Jamaica, and the Cayman Island on either end of three sea days. It will even include a Halloween party! The cruise departs from New Orleans at 12 p.m. on October 27 and won’t get back until November 3.
- LGBT “Dinner and a Movie” in Downtown Hollywood. No, not that Hollywood. This event kicks off Saturday, August 3 from 8:30 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. at 121 N 20th Ave in Hollywood, Florida. Tickets will set you back $60, but thankfully you can bring your own booze!
- LGBTQ+/Transgender 101 Training. This free event will begin at 2:30 p.m. and end at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 1 at the West Regional Library located at 8601 West Broward Blvd. in plantation, Florida. Head to the multi-purpose room on the first floor to get a new perspective on gender spectrum, identity, and transgender individuals in particular.
- Setting The Table: Cultivating Pride All Year Long. This event will take place on Thursday, July 11 from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. at the Miami Ironside Campus. Tickets cost $35. The monthly event is meant to shed light on important facets of society, and this gathering will help continue to celebrate LGBTQ pride — because it extends way past June!
- Riptide’s Christmas in July Pool Party. Who doesn’t love a good pool party? Even if you’re hesitant to jump into anything with the word “party,” rest assured that this one is for a good cause. The “Christmas in July” pool party will help raise funds toward the 2019 Gay Softball World Series. Food and drink are included in the price of admission, which is set at a “suggested” $20 donation. This particular event is on Saturday, July 20 from 2-7 p.m. at 2129 Northeast 61st st Court in Fort Lauderdale.
Have you ever been arrested during an LGBTQ-themed rally or event? Are you in the midst of litigation you think was born out of hate? A lawyer at Valiente Law is available to look at your case so you can have the best possible defense.